Wednesday 23 February 2011

The Preston Commuter

Commuting to Preston seems to be a feature of life these days!

On Tuesday I saw the consultant neurologist to whom I had been referred to determine whether or not I had an infection rather than a tumour.  He examined me and then explained in detail why he has ruled out an infection. The implication is that the problem is, as originally thought, a tumour, hopefully benign.  Superficially that sounds like bad news but I don’t think that is necessarily the case.  Had it had been an infection it would have been encephalitis and I would have been getting progressively worse.

I am scheduled for admission next Monday evening for a biopsy on Tuesday and expect to be in for two to three days, assuming all goes well.  In anticipation of that, today I had my pre-op examination down in Preston following which I should have had another MRI scan of my brain however the machine had broken down.  This has been rescheduled for Monday afternoon.

So, for the next four days I can relax and enjoy being with all the family; Scott has come over from Germany to join Emma and Luca whilst Danae has arrived from Crete to be with Jamie meaning we now have a full complement.  And then, on Monday, it’s back to Preston!


Don, 23th Feb 2011

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog up-dates. Welcome to the Preston commute. John & I will be there on Monday too, but that hospital is large! Our experience of the care there over that last few weeks has been very positive in every way.
    All very best wishes, Clare Spedding

    It is NOT 05.45 am in spite of what the message says

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare

    Thanks for the comment and I hope your Preston trip goes well- I'll look out for you!

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least we know you will keep fighting. You were a determined devil at badminton and battled for every point. Thinking of you. June (Hoj)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very easy to say "don't worry about Monday", or even the biopsy on Tuesday, but after second opinion, looks like to me that you're going to be O.K.
    Enjoy your family this weekend.

    Very best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks June and Duncan for your good wishes.

    June, my recollection of our badminton doubles team is that you did all the running round over three quarters of the court whilst I just wacked the shuttle if it came my way!!

    Don

    ReplyDelete