Tuesday 1 March 2011

Siderenios, or a Surprise Development!

A big day yesterday.  Jamie and Margaret took me down to Preston in good time for my  MRI scan.  This is the test that I should have had last Wednesday but the machine had broken down.

The test was expected to last about forty minutes but, with the various variations that the consultant had requested, it lasted almost twice that time.

We then had a long afternoon to fill before the scheduled admission at 5 p.m..  Fortunately, they were able to process me an hour early which left Jamie and Margaret free to get off home.  I asked the ward sister if I might see the neurosurgeon before he finished for the day as I had a few questions about the procedure and the aftermath.  She agreed to see what she could do.

The ward into which I had been booked was new and spacious.  The other occupants, Sid, Rod and Ron were very friendly.

Tea was a little strange.  It had been someone else’s choice, that of a lady who presumably had been let out that day.  The main course was Butter Pie which I was told was a Manchester dish although I have no recollection of it from my childhood.  Wikipedia says it is a Lancashire Catholic dish made of potatoes and onions to be eaten on a Friday.

Some time later, my consultant arrived and led me to his room.  As I pulled out my pad of questions, he said I might not need them.  The results of the scan were, he told me, much better than the previous set and he was now of the opinion that I did not have a tumour (you may recall that no tumour had been spotted previously) nor an infection but that the cause of my problems had been a mini stroke.

Obviously, this is a diagnosis not without implications but equally obviously, it is a rather better outcome than I had been anticipating.  And it meant that I was to be released immediately, without the need for surgery or having to consume any more Butter Pie.

Margaret drove down to collect me and I arrived home to a great surprise.  Danae, whose last night it was in England, had been hard at work, not just making dinner but also, with Emma, decorating the kitchen for a Welcome Home party with the Greek word Siderenios, meaning "Ironman" or "Man of steel", hung across the room.  A lovely surprise, complete with celebratory champagne.

I, we, just need to remember that I have not been given a clean bill of health but rather a diagnosis less traumatic than the alternatives with which we had been faced.  There are still issues and steps that need to be taken but the outlook is significantly better than it might have been under the alternatives.  I will find out more when I see my GP in a few days time.

Don



9 comments:

  1. Hilary Burwell2 March 2011 at 00:47

    What wonderful (qualified) news! Glad it's all moving on, and what a great banner by Danae!

    Shame though, I wanted to hear more about Sid, Ron and Rod.

    Thanks for keeping us all in touch with the progress.

    All best wishes and thinking of you guys

    xh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary

    Thanks for your good wishes.

    Regarding Sid, Ron and Rod, I am pleased to report that they were all progressing well from their various procedures and all spoke very highly of the Royal Preston Hospital.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don, Sid, Ron and Rod
    all on one ward.
    It must be some kind of 3 letter name record.
    I can imagine
    "Goodnight Ron"
    "Goodnight Don"
    "Goodnight Rod"
    "Goodnight Sid
    "Goodnight Ron"
    Little Prairiesque

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good news, Don. Maybe not unqualified, but good news none the less.
    But what we really want to know is if they found any images of Big Josie in there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guy

    Thanks!

    Re images of Big Josie, you might just have hit on the cause of all the problems!

    Don

    PS If anyone is wondering who Big Josie was, see
    http://www.lakeland-enterprise.co.uk/bootboys/BigJosie.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Josie story is hillarious... X-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last comment was from Danae. I still haven't figured out how to post messages here. Hopeless, I know xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously my comment didn't get posted Don, don't know what I'm doing wrong. Hope you get this one. Excellent news, and we wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny and Tony
    Message received loud and clear!
    Thanks for your good wishes.
    Don

    ReplyDelete